Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day and More Backyard

Well, I seem to have started a nasty habit of not taking my camera with me when I go places. For that reason you will not get any current pics. Sorry.

Well, the long weekend started last Thursday for me. I still had to take care of the kids and Walter still had to work but we were celebrating so it sort of counts as the weekend. Anyway, last Thursday was my birthday. Yep, the big 27. Thursday was fairly average except I got some presents from family and friends and a gigantic birthday banner on my garage door from the birthday fairies (Emma, Asher & Renee). Oh, and I had many calls with people singing the birthday song. I love my family and friends but they need to work on their singing skills.

Friday, Renee and I headed down to Burbank to pick Alexis up at the airport. No one knew she was coming so it was fun to be in on the surprise. After we collected Alexis and her stuff we went to Steve and Barry's to do some clothes shopping. All I wanted for my birthday from Walter were some new clothes so I was able to add to my wardrobe a bit.

Friday night we had a birthday dinner at the Elephant Bar and then saw the new Indiana Jones movie. If you haven't seen it yet I don't want to ruin it but I will just say that it was interesting. It was Indiana Jones meets Star Trek meets X-files meets Tarzan. If you have seen it, do you think it was a bit weird?

Saturday we finished the fence around the pond. My backyard is now pretty child proof. No drowning babies at my house. I can not tell you what a relief it is to know that I can let my child into the backyard and not be afraid that he will end up in the pond. We also made our way to Rosemary's for some birthday ice cream which was lovely.

Sunday we went to church where little Walter was fairly well behaved until the end of Sacrament meeting when he decided that he needed to throw himself on the floor and scream at the top of his lungs. That evening we had dinner at the V's and dessert with Mom and Dad Ray.

Monday Walter didn't have to work because of the Memorial Day holiday. We worked around the house a bit and then took the boy on a walk to the cemetery near our house. They put flags at the headstones of every person who served in the military and then large flags lining the roads. It is really a beautiful sight and it is amazing to see how many people have served our country. We tried to explain the purpose of the holiday and all of the flags to the boy but I don't think he quite got it yet, obviously. But we can continue to go each year and he will eventually understand. His favorite part of the whole experience was the memorial benches that he could climb on. Not exactly peaceful and reverent but he had fun.

Monday night we went to Mom and Dad Ray's for a memorial day/birthday BBQ. It was a lot of fun spending the evening with family and friends and the food was delicious. I love summer barbecues with the potato salad, watermelon, burgers, etc. I also love that my birthday was still being celebrated 4 days later.

I think Memorial day pretty much rings in the start of summer and I love it. Now we just need to purchase a kiddie pool and we are all set.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If it wasn't for alexis posting pictures of the fabulous bbq on her facebook, i would say you were in serious trouble. So you can thank her for saving your behind. :) Other than that, great post, sounds like you had a great bday/holiday! wish i were there

Stef (a.k.a. Cuatro's Mom) said...

Don't worry, we can celebrate my birthday again right when you get here and Brittany's after that. Then, on vacation we can celebrate your bday. I mean, we don't really need another excuse for ice cream and cake, but I will take it.